Youth Councils - Local Government
Local Government provides youth councils and other youth advisory groups with regional networking and training opportunities.
On this page:
Youth councils connecting up
In 2009, we held 13 regional forums with youth councils across the country. Youth councils shared their project work, how they work with decision-makers in their council and ideas for the future. Training workshops were held in the forums on a range of topics including youth participation in decision-making, running effective meetings, making submissions and leadership skills.
Do you have a youth council in your community?
There are groups of young people getting together all over the country as part of independent and local council based youth councils. If you are keen to get involved in making your city, town or area better for young people, then get in touch with your local youth council.
If you have a youth council in your community, you could find out:
- when their next open meeting is and attend it
- if there are any consultations they are doing with young people in your community and help out
- when youth council elections or applications are made and become a youth councillor.
If you don't have a youth council in your community, you could:
- find out if the council is thinking about it and offer to help out
- talk to other young people in your community about the idea of having a youth council
- write a letter or speak to someone on the council about setting up a youth council.
Youth councils links
Here are links to some of the youth councils from around New Zealand. If you know of a youth council that we haven't featured please let us know.
If you have any questions email: email@example.com or freephone 0508 FOR MYD (367 693).